Citrus fruits are the foods that should not be missing in your shopping list. If you didn’t, maybe it’s time for you to consider replacing your juice box with natural orange juice that you squeeze out of fresh orange, buy some lemons to make some lemon water, since warm lemon water in the morning it could replace your coffee addiction, in addition to the lime also being able to reduce the smell of fish and could improve the taste of some foods so that you can reduce the use of salt, instead of fruits that are rich in Sugar grapefruit could be your choice of sweet fruit that you could consume daily.
Speaking of the nutrients contained in citrus fruits it could be different in each type of the variant, but each variety of citrus fruits must be rich in certain nutrients that are listed below:
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin A
- Dietary fiber
Below is the list of health benefits of citrus fruits that will change your mind that citrus fruits are not only the fruits that you could easily find in the daily market but also the easy source of food and substances that are beneficial for your health.
25 Health Benefits of Citrus:
1. Help to Lose Weight:
- The reason why citrus fruits are good for your weight loss program is because they are rich in fiber and water.
- It is due to fruits that are rich in fiber and the water will take a little longer to be digested and it means that your stomach will be full for longer too.
- Therefore, consuming the whole fruit could help you control your hunger.
- In addition to that the vitamin C contained in citrus fruits will produce a certain hormone called cortisol whose main function is to store your fat away from the system and convert them into energy instead.
2. Reduce Stroke:
- The stroke occurred when the arteries used to distribute the blood to the brain are clogged.
- Heperidine, a phytonutrient found in citrus fruits, has a significant role in increasing blood flow throughout the body.
- In addition, together with flavonoids, which play an important role in improving the function of blood vessels, the risk of stroke could be reduced by simply consuming citrus juice daily.
3. Prevents the Development of Cancer Cells:
- The fact that all citrus varieties are a powerful source of antioxidants and rich in vitamin C means that they are good for preventing cancer.
- The development of cancer cells is initially caused by damaged cells that affect healthy cells and lead to the rapid growth of cancer cells.
- Damaged cells are mainly caused by free radicals and the main function of antioxidants is to eliminate all free radicals for the human body before they can be harmful.
4. Improve Vision:
- Vitamin A is what your eyesight is necessary to maintain its optimal function.
- Citrus fruits contained a high carotenoid compound that combined with vitamin C will produce vitamin A that prevents macular degeneration, one of whose effects is blindness.
5. Reduce the Risk of Cataracts:
- The development of cataracts is due to the oxidation of the lens.
- One of the reasons that oxidation occurred is due to vitamin C deficiency.
- According to some studies that have been carried out, people with a history of high blood pressure will have an increased risk of cataracts.
- This is how citrus fruits have an important role in reducing the risk of cataracts, by consuming citrus fruits you can make sure you get enough vitamin C and at the same time control your blood pressure.
6. Helps Iron Absorption:
- Citrus fruits may not be rich in iron, but they are so rich in vitamin C.
- One of the amazing functions of vitamin C is its ability to ensure that iron absorption is optimal.
- Although you have consumed iron supplement or consume a lot of foods that contain iron, but if the absorption is not optimal, then you will not get all the benefits you have been looking for iron.
7. Maintains Blood Sugar Levels:
- Regular consumption of citrus fruits could maintain the level of blood sugar. It is because citrus fruits are so rich in fiber and lignin.
- They could reduce glucose absorption by promoting longer satiety and preventing the increase in blood sugar level.
8. Reduce Cholesterol Level:
- The same fiber that controls blood sugar level also has a similar role in cholesterol.
- Fiber is a gelatinous substance that could bind excess cholesterol particles in the intestine to be washed out of the body system and the same fiber also interferes with the reabsorption of bile acids that could affect cholesterol level as well.
9. Good for the Digestive System:
- Citrus fruits are rich in soluble fiber. Fiber is one of the substances that cannot be broken down, its main function is to pass the intestine and during the passage of the fiber it will make sure to bring all the unnecessary substances to be washed from your digestive system.
- Therefore, by eliminating all unnecessary substances that could be harmful, your digestive system could function optimally by producing bile acid that will process the nutrients required by the body only.
10. Production of Collagen for Tissue Repair:
- Collagen is known to be a powerful substance for skin health.
- However, its main function is not only to maintain the skin, but much more general, is to repair damaged tissue.
- Damaged tissue can be caused by several conditions and collagen plays a prominent role in ensuring that these tissues are optimally repaired so that tissue cell regeneration can function optimally.
11. Fight Anemia:
- The best way to treat anemia is to make sure you are eating foods that contain enough iron.
- However, it is not the end of the solution because iron easily interferes so sometimes absorption is not optimal.
- Citrus fruits are rich in vitamin C, one of whose functions is to optimize iron absorption.
- Therefore, if you are taking iron supplement, combining it with a glass of orange juice is highly recommended.
12. Promotes Healthy Skin:
- Vitamin C has an important role in the formation of collagen.
- Collagen is an important substance that is good for the skin.
- Its main function is to keep your skin healthy by repairing damaged skin tissue caused by some skin conditions.
- In addition to that the antioxidants contained in citrus fruits are also making your skin wrinkle free so you will look younger with bright face skin.
13. Powerful Antioxidant:
- There are many types of antioxidants, but the function is similar.
- Antioxidant has an important role in the fight against free radicals to protect your cells from being affected that could cause the rapid growth of abnormal cells that are well known as cancer cells.
- All citrus varieties are rich in antioxidants that are good for your body.
14. Rich in Folate for Pregnant Mother:
- The fact that folate is good for the pregnant mother is already widely known and all citrus varieties are rich in folate, so they are good and safe to be consumed by the pregnant mother even daily.
- Folate helps in the production of healthy DNA in the fetus, as well as in the development of vital organs such as the brain and nervous system.
- Folate is also having a significant role in reducing the risk of the baby being born with congenital defects.
15. Blood Pressure Control:
- Citrus fruits are good for blood pressure because they are rich in potassium.
- Potassium may help eliminate excess sodium in the blood as part of the blood pressure control mechanism.
- In addition to potassium is also the prominent electrolyte that could maintain normal blood pressure by promoting nerve impulses to the muscle.
16. Avoid Viral Infection:
- The unstable climate makes people easily infected by viral infections such as the cold and the flu.
- A glass of warm water with lemon could be a delicious and much more effective solution than drugs.
- However, recent studies found the opposite of what people have believed throughout this time that vitamin C contained in orange could prevent the cold is not really true, but citrus can only shorten the duration of symptoms so that you I can heal faster.
17. Immunity Booster:
- All fruits and vegetables rich in vitamin C are recommended to boost immunity. Just by consuming a medium size orange you will be able to meet your daily vitamin C needs.
18. Contribute to Bone Density:
- Vitamin C contained in citrus fruits may not be able to directly affect bone health density.
- Bone density is affected by the fact that the body is receiving enough minerals or not.
- Citrus fruits may contain several types of minerals but they are not enough.
- Vitamin C is actually the key role in this matter, as it helps the absorption of minerals as part of maintaining the mechanism of bone density.
19. Avoid the Formation of Kidney Stones:
- The health benefits of citrus fruits for the prevention of kidney stones is one of the best sources.
- Excess salt in the body system can cause kidney stones. The salt will crystallize and the size will be increasing until it is impossible to pass the ureter.
- The citrate found in citrus fruits could help reduce the crystal’s formulation. It is recommended to consume citrus fruits regularly to prevent kidney stones, but not too much due to the acidic content that could make your stomach feel uncomfortable and the sugar content could cause tooth decay.
20. Reduces the Risk of Cognitive Diffusion in the Elderly:
- It has already been shown that folate and vitamin C are important for the development of nervous systems and the improvement of cognitive function in the fetus.
- Recent studies also showed that the same substances are also able to reduce the risk of cognitive dysfunction in the elderly.
21. Avoid Asthma:
- Vitamin C could do some wonders and one of them is to reduce the risk of asthma.
- Vitamin C is one of the vitamins that have a great contribution in the production of some powerful antioxidants in the body.
- Studies have shown that vitamin C deficiency could lead to an increased risk of asthma.
22. Source of Healthy Carbohydrates:
- Carbohydrates are essential substances to produce energy.
- However, most carbohydrates are associated with weight gain.
- Well, the carbohydrates found in citrus fruits are the simplest and healthiest way that won’t cause weight gain.
- In addition, together with citric acid that is rich in citrus fruits it will provide enough energy to reinforce your daily activity.
23. Reduce Sodium by Replacing Salt with Citrus:
- Sodium is one of the reasons why blood pressure is really hard to control.
- Sodium, which is found mainly in salt and salt, is one of the important ingredients to make foods much more delicious and more flavorful.
- Therefore, it is difficult for some people to avoid salt.
- Why don’t you replace salt with citrus fruits?
- The taste may be different, but citrus fruits have a similar function to salt to give your food more flavor and more flavor.
24. Prevents Hair Loss:
- Hair loss may not be a life-threatening problem, but experiencing baldness could affect your confidence.
- So, you have to make sure you don’t have a single patch of baldness on your scalp, as it is the early symptom of hair loss.
- The collagen formed by vitamin C will help reduce the baldness patch on your scalp by repairing damaged scalp tissue for healthier hair growth.
25. Natural Detoxifier:
- The fiber’s capacity, which is relatively high in citrus fruits in the union of unnecessary substances within the intestine, also functions as a detoxification mechanism.
- Because the fiber cannot break down, it will be wasted away from your body along with the harmful substances that adhere to the fiber.
- A clean intestine means a healthy digestive system; a healthy digestive system will lead to a healthier body metabolism, where all the substances and nutrients required by the body will be absorbed optimally.
Side Effects of Excessive Citrus Consumption:
Citrus fruits are one of the variants of fruits that are recommended to be consumed on a daily basis, but speaking of the quantity and effectiveness of this fruit in the treatment of various medical conditions continue to require deeper investigation. The list above provides you with the information you need to know about the positive side of citrus fruits and the list below will guide you in that consuming too many citrus fruits can lead to the negative effects of citrus fruits:
- The allergic reaction is not a common side effect, but care must be taken because some cases have been reported.
- The reason is not for the substances contained in citrus fruits, but for the molds caused by the cultivation process.
- That is why making sure that you are only consuming fresh citrus fruits and without mold the allergic reaction could be avoided.
- Tooth decay is caused by the sugar contained in citrus fruits.
- That is why it is highly recommended to brush your teeth after consuming citrus fruits.
- Citric acid may be good for killing bacteria in the oral organ, but the sugar that remains can be harmful to teeth.
- If you are consuming too many citrus fruits that contain a high acid content, the effect may be a stomachache.
- That is why consuming it wisely is highly recommended; in addition to a medium size of orange is enough to provide the vitamin C required by your body, so why do you need more?
Citrus in Dishes and Beverages:
The most famous and well-known citrus recipe is orange juice. Orange juice is not only delicious, but also the option of fresh drinks that is rich in nutrients that are good for the human body. So, is it the only recipe you know made from citrus? Maybe the following list gives you some ideas on the best way to serve citrus fruits for your family.
- Citrus fruits, the sweet variety, could be used as the main ingredients of orange pudding.
- Both juice and pulp can be used to texture pudding.
- You can use the pulp as a mixture of the salad and the juice as a flavor enhancer of the dressing.
- Citrus could reduce the smell of fish. So, why don’t you put some citrus to roast with salmon or tuna? Citrus eliminates the smell and at the same time enhances the taste to replace salt.
- Sweets made from grapefruit.
- The sour and sweet taste of grapefruit is the perfect choice for the taste of sweets. Healthy choice and loved by children.
- Citrus fruits can also be used as flavor enhancers or ingredients to make cakes and cookies.
- The best option is to grill the citrus peel for a stronger flavor.
- You are getting bored with your natural yogurt as it is the only type of yogurt recommended for you as part of the weight loss program.
- Combining your natural yogurt with orange can not only make your natural yogurt taste better, but also keep your body in shape.
- Citrus fruits are available in a wide variety of variants. However, they usually only fall into two categories, sour and sweet.
- The sweet category could be consumed directly, while the sour category is mainly used as part of cooking ingredients and drinks.
- Citrus fruits are not only limited by the juice or pulp, the peel can also be consumed and according to several studies, the nutrients contained in the peel are relatively higher if compared to the juice or pulp.
- That’s why if you want to make an orange-flavored cake, instead of pulp or juice, using the peel is much more recommended for a stronger flavor.