The strawberry is a perennial plant belonging to the Rosaceae family, whose fruit is edible. The plant has creeping stems, with stolons, hairy leaves and white or yellowish flowers. The fruit that is red and has a sweet taste is about a centimeter long and has a characteristic aroma. The fruit of the strawberry is ether, a fleshy floral receptacle that presents a large number of achenes (nuts). Due to this characteristic the strawberry is also considered a polyaquenio (it lodges many fruits). Strawberry is a very good source of vitamin C, vitamin P, magnesium, potassium, carbohydrates, calcium and water. It is considered that a portion of 100 grams of strawberry contributes about 34.5 calories.
Thanks to the properties mentioned, strawberry is one of the fruits that has more benefits on our body and therefore it is always advisable to be included in our diet. A tangible example is that it is a great ally when it comes to combating problems caused by high tension. It is also recommended for the purification of the digestive system and helps fight anemia.
There are about twenty (20) strawberry species that contain a variable number of chromosomes, for example, wild strawberries are diploid, which means that they have 2 pairs of seven chromosomes. The more resistant chromosomes the more resistant the fruit. There are three large groups that can be classified as follows:
A. Fresón Douglas:
- It is characterized by having a large size and shaped like a balloon. Its color is deep red and has a pink tip.
B. Fresón Camarosa:
- Apparently it is originally from California, it is of very good quality and among its most outstanding features are its intense red color and its large size.
C. Common Strawberry:
- The main feature of this is that its size is smaller than the other types named above.
Among the many countries that have become large producers and exporters of strawberries, Spain stands out and specifically two of its corners: Aranjuez and Huelva. Another of its uses, the term strawberry is an adjective that indicates the red color similar to that of the aforementioned fruit. For example: “My mother has given me a strawberry T-shirt”, “I need a strawberry tablecloth that matches my curtains.” Whether you like strawberry pie, ice cream with strawberries or just fresh strawberries as a gift at any time, choosing the right strawberry plant types can help you satisfy your yen for these juicy red fruits. Choosing the right types of strawberry fruit for your area and site situation will improve your crop and keep it in berries for a prolonged period of time. The juicy and delicious taste of strawberry has numerous benefits for health, skin and hair with the precious nutrition and antioxidants. If you are a fan, you can simply eat this super fruit properly to reap its benefits and if you are not, what do you not like?
40 Benefits of Strawberry for Our Body:
1. Strengthens the Immune System:
- Vitamin C is a great boost of our body’s immunity and can be found in strawberry in a fairly large amount.
- The body needs vitamin C to improve the immune system, so it is always really important.
- The good news is that you do not need to eat many strawberries to get vitamin C, simply consuming a cup of strawberries will provide about 100 percent of your daily requirement for vitamin C.
- In addition, one study showed that the power of the antioxidant in strawberries is excellent since the effect can be harvested by your body and it is easy to work in the blood after a few weeks eating the fruit.
2. Help Control Bad Cholesterol:
- Vitamin C is not the only antioxidant that strawberries contain because there are also flavonoids and ellagic acid that are great for the heart.
- The healthy heart is the key to preventing cholesterol, since this chronic disease occurs when an accumulation of plaque adheres to the walls of the arteries.
- Antioxidants work to counteract bad cholesterol while providing an anti-inflammatory effect to the heart.
- This great effect on the heart has also been proven by some studies, so get it in your low cholesterol diet to have a healthier heart.
3. Regulates Blood Sugar:
- It contains about 134 mg of potassium in a single serving; potassium is an essential nutrient for the body, especially for the heart.
- This compound can regulate pressure to prevent high blood pressure.
- Potassium works by reducing the level of bad cholesterol and inflammation, which results in a good impact on the health of your heart.
4. Prevents Blood Clots:
- There are some types of antioxidants that can be found in strawberries, these are kaempferol, anthocyanins and quercetin.
- These powerful antioxidants are excellent for reducing the formation of blood clots in your body, which is one of the causes of stroke.
5. Fight Against Cancer:
- By strengthening the immune system, strawberries help fight cancer by protecting your health.
- Ellagic acid, which is a type of phytochemical that can be found in this super fruit, contains anti-cancer properties.
- In addition, antioxidants are excellent in neutralizing free radicals in the body to prevent them from giving negative effects to your body’s cells.
6. Keeps Joints Healthy:
- Free radicals can cause joints to run out of fluid and accumulate toxins.
- The antioxidants in strawberries can fight free radicals and improve joint health.
- Inflammation and joint pain can be treated and some diseases such as arthritis can be prevented.
7. Promotes Eye Health:
- The eyes need vitamin C to maintain their health from UV damage.
- By consuming enough vitamin C, which is available in quite high amounts in strawberries, you can protect the eyes from cataracts.
8. Keeps Bones Healthy and Strong:
- Potassium, magnesium and vitamin K in strawberries are excellent nutrients for bones.
- Bones need these minerals to maintain strength and health while increasing their growth.
- Both children and the elderly can get the benefits of strawberries to improve the health of their bones.
9. Improve Memory:
- The anthocyanin content in strawberries, according to a report, is excellent for improving short-term memory, which can be useful for children.
- That report showed that strawberries can help improve short memory by up to 100 percent in just 8 weeks.
- So, if you need supplements for your brain, buy some strawberries.
10. Provide Nutrients for Pregnancy:
- Pregnant women need to consume folic acid to help develop the brain and skull of the unborn baby.
- This compound is also useful for preventing birth defects, which makes strawberries a good type of fruit to consume during pregnancy.
11. Treatment Against Constipation:
- The large amount of fiber and water in strawberries is effective in treating constipation.
- Not only can they help defecate regularly, strawberries can also maintain their hydration.
12. Relieves Allergy:
- Strawberries have anti-inflammatory properties, which are not only good for joints, but also help reduce allergic symptoms, such as watery eyes.
13. Treat Diabetes:
- Its low glycemic index makes strawberries a good type of fruit for diabetics.
- In addition, high-mount fiber can help stabilize blood sugar.
- There has even been research that found, through the use of mice in the tests, that the consumption of 37 daily strawberries can help reduce some diabetes complications thanks to fisetin.
14. Reduces the Risk of High Blood Pressure:
- The large amount of magnesium and potassium in strawberries can lower blood pressure, as it works by reducing hypertension and relieving blood flow.
15. Help Fight Depression:
- Depression can occur when homocysteine is formed by preventing blood from going to the brain.
- Too much of it will also interfere with the production of serotonin, a hormone that makes you feel good.
- Strawberries contain folate that can prevent the excessive amount of homocysteine that results in a better mind.
16. Fat Burning:
- The combination of anthocyanins and vitamin C in strawberries is excellent to help your body burn stored fat, which is good to add to your diet with its few calories as an additional benefit.
17. Reduce Inflammation:
- Anti-inflammatory agents in strawberries are indicated to reduce inflammation, according to a recent study.
- This is effective for treating inflammation in people over 60.
- Ellagic acid and anthocyanins are good for fighting inflammation, which is good for some inflammation-related diseases such as asthma, cancer and atherosclerosis.
Benefits of Strawberry for the Skin:
18. Control the Signs of Aging:
- The signs of aging appear mainly by free radicals and strawberries have antioxidants to fight them.
- It can prevent the signs of aging, but at least it can control and slow them down. Take some strawberries and mix them with two teaspoons of milk cream and a teaspoon of honey to mask the face for about 20 minutes before washing.
19. Improves Complexion:
- Apply strawberry juice on your face, it can lighten your tone, remove age spots, freckles and clean it.
- Simply use a cotton ball dipped in the juice and let it sit for 15 minutes before washing.
- It is best to use warm water.
20. Control Excess Fat:
- Using strawberries as a mask can control excess oil on the skin, thanks to its richness in vitamin C, while nourishing the skin.
21. Prevents Swelling of the Eyes:
- The swelling of the eyes is always very interesting, therefore, fight it by placing a thin slice of strawberry in the swelling area and leave it 10 minutes before washing it.
- It is also good in the treatment of dark circles.
22. Collaborate With Skin Cleansing:
- Strawberries have cleansing properties that are excellent for removing dirt from the skin by smoothing it.
- That’s why many facial wash products or skin cleansers use strawberries as one of the ingredients.
23. Tones the Skin:
- Mixing two teaspoons of strawberry juice and rose water you can use this mixture to tone the skin.
- You can have clear skin without imperfections and wrinkles simply by using this simple natural mixture.
24. Repair the Skin:
- Not only your body, but also your skin needs vitamin C to repair damage and wounds, so consuming strawberries will provide health benefits for your skin.
25. Foot Scrub:
- The cracks in the foot can be treated by rubbing it with pureed strawberries mixed with glycerin only in a few drops.
- Add oatmeal to aid in the scrubbing process and crush it first before mixing.
- Dead cells can be removed, leaving it with a softer foot.
26. Treatment for Skin Pigmentation:
- Ellagic acid in strawberries is excellent for controlling skin pigmentation.
- Eat this super fruit daily and you can feel the benefits.
27. Protection Against UV Damage:
Ellagic acid is also useful to protect your skin from damage from ultraviolet rays, which is also a cause of signs of aging, simply by applying it to the skin.
28. Acne Treatment:
Mask your face with strawberry puree mixed with a tablespoon of milk for 10 minutes and wash it will help reduce excess oil while controlling acne.
29. Protects Lips:
Rub your lip with two tablespoons of sugar mixed with two mashed strawberries can help soften and refill the lip. Simply rub gently for a minute and rinse to exfoliate.
30. Treatment for Sagging Skin:
- Create a paste using strawberry puree.
- Only 3 ripe strawberries and two tablespoons of plain yogurt can promote smooth and firm skin.
- Simply let the mask sit for 10 minutes and use warm water to rinse.
- You can continue this treatment daily for a few weeks to achieve the best result.
31. Skin Scrub:
- Combine five ripe strawberries, half a cup of sugar and three teaspoons of olive oil and use it to rub your skin before bathing.
- This can help your skin hydrated and fresh with any harmful ingredient.
32. Reduce Dark Spots:
- Since it contains ellagic acid, strawberries are good for reducing dark spots.
- Use a cotton ball dipped in strawberry juice and apply it to dark spots and rinse.
33. Eliminate Freckles:
- Freckles on the skin are one of the signs of aging and can disappear with a mixture of strawberry puree and half a teaspoon of honey.
- Do it in a paste and apply it to freckles.
- Leave it for about five minutes, rinse it and enjoy.
- You must do this daily for a few weeks to achieve the best result.
Benefits of Strawberry for Hair:
34. Hydrates Hair and Scalp:
- The antioxidants in strawberries are excellent for preventing the scalp from drying out by protecting the cell membrane.
- You can eat strawberries and treat the scalp with a mixture of egg yolk and strawberries to act as a moisturizer.
35. Fight Dandruff:
- Mixing strawberries with thyme or tea tree oil and applying it to the scalp can be useful to fight dandruff.
- Do this until you get the desired result for a healthier scalp.
36. Prevents Hair Thinning:
- Vitamin B6, B5 and folic acid in strawberries can prevent your hair from falling out and diluting when moisturized.
37. Prevents Fungal Growth:
- Some minerals in strawberries, which are copper and manganese, are excellent for preventing fungal growth.
- When mixed with dicarboxylic acid, they can produce complexes to inhibit growth.
38. Forge a Shiny Silky Hair:
- A simple and natural hair mask made of some ripe strawberries with mayonnaise can help nourish your hair and scalp.
- Apply this mixture to the hair and leave it on for 20 minutes by covering it with a shower cap and shampoo.
39. Prevents Hair Follicles:
- Exfoliate the follicles using a mixture of orange juice, strawberries and yogurt as a natural scrub that is much safer to use.
40. Prevents Hair Loss:
- Vitamin C can help your body absorb iron better, which improves hair growth.
- In addition, the silica in strawberries can also help prevent baldness and support hair growth.
- Simply take two ripe strawberries and mix with a tablespoon of honey and extra virgin coconut oil to apply on the hair and scalp for 20 minutes before rinsing with cold water.
- Do this twice a week after cleaning the scalp.
Tips for Eating Strawberries:
There are many ways to help you reap the benefits of strawberries to enjoy the juicy flavor while improving the health of your body, skin and hair.
- Eat it whole: The best way to enjoy strawberries is to eat this raw material to get all the nutrients provided. You can eat even the seeds after washing and drying the strawberries.
- Salad: Add some sliced strawberries to your green salad to make it more juicy and more delicious. You can also get additional nutrients from strawberries as an advantage.
- Strawberry Mousse: If you want your desserts to be tastier, make your own strawberry mousse to improve the taste. Eating only the mousse is also another great and simple idea.
- Parfait Dessert: Making some layers that contain whole blueberries, sliced strawberries and plain yogurt in a glass can be a good and healthy dessert to enjoy.
- Strawberry cake: Add fresh strawberries to the cake filling to make this dessert look more beautiful and taste better with high nutrition.
- Pizza supplement: A more unique idea to consume strawberries is to use it as a pizza along with pistachios or soft cheese. Make your own pizza to make it healthier and not have to worry about carving pizzas, since this is excellent.
- Strawberry tea: Mix a cup of strawberries and some tea in boiling water will end with a healthier and tastier tea that you can enjoy hot or cold. Let the mixture for about five minutes before straining. Add the sugar to sweeten it and refresh it by drinking it cold with some ice cubes.
Possible Side Effects:
- Strawberry has an allergic substance, the allergy Fragaria 1, which can trigger allergic symptoms in some people.
- It depends on the sensitivity and quantity of strawberries consumed.
- People with food allergies should first consult a doctor before eating, in case some symptoms occur.
2. Pesticide Effects:
- Be sure to always consume organic strawberries since many strawberries are now grown with pesticides, which makes it less healthy.
Now you know how strawberries, when eaten or applied to your skin, can improve your overall health. So, get this in your daily meals, in the treatment of skin and hair to avoid having too much contact with chemicals. Be sure to choose and store strawberries properly to get maximum benefits and pay attention to some allergies.