United States and the United Kingdom, is one of the countries that suffers the greatest number of cyber attacks annually. A problem that is accentuated in moments as complicated as today .
Cybercrime is one of the most profitable illegal activities that exists . So much so, that criminals have pivoted from other criminal activities to computer hacking, since the benefits are very great and the risks for them are very small, mainly because they do not need to be at the scene to commit their misdeeds.
In cybersecurity, we say that there are companies that have been attacked, others that will be soon, and many that have not even found out that they have been attacked.
In addition, in the case of computer intrusions through the Wi-Fi network, attacks can occur at a sufficient distance so as not to arouse suspicion, from a vehicle
on the street, for example.
An attacker can also hack a hotel’s wireless networks from the comfort of the room in which they are staying , without attracting attention. From there you can sabotage all the facilities that have a wireless connection, from Wi-Fi networks to any device connected by bluetooth. And, of course, without raising suspicion or leaving a trace of the intrusion.
From these security breaches of the hotel’s Wi-Fi network , customers’ computers and phones can be accessed , stealing credentials of all kinds, in order to further extend their criminal activity.
It can be devastating for a hotel to suffer an attack on its IT infrastructure . The cybercriminal will have access to lists of clients and employees, and will be able to access different computers belonging to the hotel. The economic consequences and the damages derived from possible legal actions are difficult to calculate.
10 measures to improve the security of a wifi network
- Use strong passwords that mix uppercase, lowercase, numbers, and special characters. The longer the password the better. Do not use words that can be found in the dictionary in the password.
- Always use a VPN (virtual private network) on our mobile phone and on the computer. Even if a hacker accesses the Wi-Fi network and intercepts the data, it will be encrypted, and you will not be able to read it.
- Do not use public networks without being connected through a VPN , and never to carry out banking, commercial or health-related operations.
- Once you have used a public Wi-Fi network , be sure to configure your devices to “forget” that network . In this way, your phone, for example, will not be constantly spreading the identifiers of the networks to which it has connected in the past, facilitating an impersonation attack.
- Do not visit websites that do not have the HTTPS protocol implemented . Pages that continue to use HTTP are vulnerable to attacks over Wi-Fi.
- We must keep the wifi functionality , and bluetooth turned off when not in use, since our device can automatically connect to open wifi networks.
- Be attentive to the network configuration at all times . We cannot be connected to the “Airport Wifi” if we are sitting at home.
- Be skeptical of names like “free wifi” , as there may be someone behind collecting information from the people who connect.
- Use a wireless intrusion detection system on our network. Any device that connects without our authorization will be blocked.
- Check that our router software is updated to the latest version . This also applies to mobiles, computers and other devices.
In short, although absolute security in a Wi-Fi network does not exist , we can minimize the risks by taking a series of measures that will make our network less vulnerable.
In addition, by conducting a wifi audit we can check the vulnerabilities that our network has, as well as detect deficiencies in the performance, quality and coverage of the wireless signal.