Upon reflection, joining the NorCal Business Marketing Association (BMA) was one of the most valuable career decisions that I have made. — Jenna Cheng
My journey started in summer 2012 when I read Nancy Chou’s story in The BMA Buzz. Inspired by her vision to energize B2B marketers in the Bay Area and launch an outreach program for younger professionals, I reached out to seek her mentorship. Nancy Chou, President of NorCal BMA, suggested that I lead the Young Professionals outreach program and generously provided me with the resources to succeed. I happily accepted her challenge and launched the Young Professionals Program with a Holiday Social in December 2012. Since then, BMA has transformed my career in several ways
- Marketing Skills: Through monthly speaker programs, I learned about best practices in B2B marketing from experts at leading companies such as SAP, VMware, Marketo, Bloomberg, etc. Also, by volunteering for a leadership role, I enhanced my skills in event planning, social media, content marketing and business development.
- Expert Mentorship: After spearheading the first and hugely successful Young Professionals Holiday Launch Party, I was appointed to the Board of Directors at NorCal BMA. As a board member, I had the opportunity to work with a talented team of experts in marketing automation, lead management, operations, PR and social media, etc.
- Career Resources: As a member of NorCal BMA, I continually learned about cutting-edge B2B marketing trends, conferences and job resources. In addition, I received personal invites to attend and network with amazing individuals at the B2B Digital Edge Live Conference, PwC VC Outlook Moneytree and MarketingCamp Silicon Valley.
- Industry Contacts: BMA has been an incredible source of industry contacts. Through networking events and personal referrals, I connected with marketing executives and recruiters at Google, LinkedIn, Bloomberg, Samsung, NRG Energy, Hitachi, BrightTALK and Sage Group; some of which led to interviews and new career opportunities.
- Community Recognition: In recognition for my leadership and contributions to the NorCal BMA Chapter, I received glowing testimonials and publicity on PRWeb, The San Jose Mercury News, The San Francisco Chronicle and The National BMA website. This has led to prospective client meetings and requests for partnership.